One of the most important parts of your fishing boat is its battery. While marine batteries generally tend to be expensive, there’s no way around getting a new one when the need arises. And it’s not something you want to skimp on unless you want to start having days when you’d end your fishing plans earlier than planned due to a dead trolling motor battery.
With the advent of AGM technology, trolling motor batteries are now better than ever, requiring little to no maintenance and yet delivering more capacity than what obtained with older batteries. In this post, we’d be looking at some of the best trolling motor batteries on the market.
- Best Marine Batteries for Trolling Motors: Our Top Recommendations
- 1. Weize 12V 100Ah Deep Cycle Battery
- 2. Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Replacement Battery
- 3. VMAX MR137-120 AGM Sealed Marine AGM Battery
- 4. Interstate 12V 75Ah DCM0075 SLA/AGM Deep Cycle battery
- 5. Weize FP12750 12V 75Ah Deep Cycle Battery
- 6. Optima 8050-160 D31T YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- 7. Mighty Max ML55-12 SLA Battery
- Things to Consider When Buying a Trolling Motor Battery
Best Marine Batteries for Trolling Motors: Our Top Recommendations
When looking to buy a new trolling motor battery, your best bet is one that can serve you throughout your fishing day. While the market abounds with options that promise just that, making the right choice from the pack can be a huge challenge.
So, we scoured the market for marine deep cycle batteries and compared several options in terms of technology, performance, durability, brand reputation, buyer reviews, and price. And after cutting out the low performers, we were left with these top contenders.
Whether yours is a Minn Kota trolling motor or another brand, you won’t go wrong with these batteries.
1. Weize 12V 100Ah Deep Cycle Battery
Weize 12V 100AH Deep Cycle AGM SLA VRLA Battery for Solar System RV Camping Trolling Motor, in Series 24V 36V 48V
- Deep Cycle Battery 12V 100 Amp Hour Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable ; Parcel: 1 x Battery (screws included, but no wire harness or mounting).
- Dimensions: 12.99x 6.73x 8.43 inches (Replace UB121000, Renogy 100 AMP Hour). High Performance, Deep Cycle: Long Service Life and Deep Discharge Recover.
- Used For Solar Panel Wind Off-Grid Applications, RV House Van Camping Trip, Travel Trailer, Mini Kota/Cobra/Sevylor Trolling Motor, Back-up Sump Pump, Electric Mobility Scooter Wheelchair.
- Also For Electric Vehicles, Golf Carts, Hunting, Lawn and Garden Tools, Portable Tools, Toys and Hobby, UPS System, Industrial and Medical Equipment,Emergency Lighting, Leisure, Alarm Security and more.
- TL12100 or LFP12100 You Will Receive, Send Randomly,They Are the Same Quality,But Different Production Batches, Amazon doesn't deal with the return of battery-related products, so please contact the seller directly. Weize support team is on standby for YOU.
The first thing that comes to mind when you talk about Weize batteries is affordability and high performance. This is exactly what the LFP12100 deep cycle battery from this company stands for. Let’s take a quick look at the features and why this battery is on our list.
Just as the name implies, the battery provides you with 100 amps per hour. This means that you have sufficient power for your trolling motor and all its electronics. The sealed lead-acid battery lacks a wire harness but comes with screws. It promises long service life, deep discharge recovery, high performance, and deep cycle.
The LFP12100 Weize battery is one of the most versatile batteries in its category. Apart from trolling motors, it works well for RVs, travel trailers, mobility scooter wheelchairs, and sump pumps. You can also use it for golf carts, garden and lawn tools, electric vehicles, UPS systems, emergency lighting, and lots more.
It is designed to supply lots of power even though it weighs just 60lbs. This battery comes with the AGM design. As a result, you are sure that the lead-acid electrolyte will not leak out or spill. This also implies that you won’t have to spend so much time maintaining the battery. The AGM design makes the terminals resistant to corrosion.
The major selling point of the LFP12100 battery is that it is very affordable. It costs about half of what other AGM batteries in the same class cost. It also delivers a lot of power over a long period. This battery seems to be the perfect fit for your power needs when you are on a budget.
Overall, if you need a battery for your trolling motor that is very affordable, then this battery makes the cut. Older people and those with special needs will particularly find this battery helpful. This is because it is very easy to install while providing sufficient backup power to deliver high performance.
- Secure packaging
- Easy to install
- Very versatile.
- Maintenance-free battery
- Very low resistance
- Leak and spill-proof
- Low self-discharge
- None that we could figure.
2. Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Replacement Battery
Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Replacement Battery Compatible with Minn Kota, Minnkota, Cobra, Sevylor trolling Motor
- UPG #45978 UB121000 12V 100Ah
- Dimensions: 12.17 inches x 6.61 inches x 9.16 inches. Weight: 63.93 Lbs
- SLA/AGM maintenance free, spill proof battery
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration
- 1 Year Warranty
Universal Power Group has a huge reputation on the market for manufacturing high-performance batteries. The UB121000 battery from Universal is a heavy-duty battery that provides sufficient backup power for trolling motors. Here’s why this battery makes our list:
Just like the Weize battery above, the UB121000 from Universal Power Group delivers 100Ah of power. Combine this with its 12V and you have sufficient power for your trolling motor. If you were ever unconvinced about a battery’s delivery, you should never doubt the UB121000. It delivers exactly what it promises.
One of the challenges of this battery is its weight. While it delivers so much power, the battery weighs about 64lbs. That’s some serious weight to move around, especially if you are advanced in age or have special needs. Nonetheless, it makes up for this with the number of hours of backup power that it supplies.
Other than trolling motors, you can use this battery for RVs, fishing boats, solar panels, and lots more. This means that the UB121000 battery is one of the most versatile batteries in this class as well. It comes with the AGM design, just like the Weize battery.
Universal Power Group worked hard to ensure that the battery meets with established waterproofing standards. As a result, the battery is considered one of the safest from leaks in the market. Two things are certain when you use this battery: water cannot seep through and the lead-acid electrolyte within cannot get out. That’s safety at its peak for you, your trolling motor, and the battery.
While the size might be a huge disadvantage for mobility, it comes with an advantage for performance. Due to its size, the UB121000 presents you with great thrust. This is why it can deliver power to vehicles that require more power than what it should deliver normally.
It is impossible to discuss this battery without mentioning how long it can work before a recharge. The battery can deliver power consistently for about four days before it needs a recharge. Recharging this battery is very simple. Plug it into a regular outlet and it begins to charge, very straightforward.
Overall, this battery delivers sufficient power and thrust when you need it. It retains power for a long time and is very affordable. The only challenge seems to be its weight but it makes up for this with several amiable qualities.
- Delivers power for long periods
- Low self-discharge
- Maintenance-free battery
- Sealed design to avoid leaks and spills of electrolytes
- Waterproof casing
- Resists vibration and shocks
- Very affordable
- Quite heavy
- Consumes more storage space
3. VMAX MR137-120 AGM Sealed Marine AGM Battery
VMAX MR137-120 AGM Sealed Marine AGM Battery 12V 120AH for 50lb -110lb thrust Minn Kota, Newport Vessels, Cobra, Sevylor and other trolling motors. VMAX MR137 Deep Cycle 12V 120Ah Battery BCI group 31
- 13"*6.8"*8.8h Heavy Duty 12V AGM DEEP CYCLE BATTERY with Float Service Life span of 8 to 10 years.
- Electrolyte Suspension system VMAX tanks utilize an electrolyte suspension system consisting AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) of a high porosity that totally absorb and contain the electrolyte. No silica gels or any other contaminants are used.
- Heavy Duty Grids: VMAX heavy duty lead tin alloys provide an extra margin of performance and service life in either float or cyclic applications, even after repeated over discharges.
- Maintenance Free Operation: There is no need to check specific gravity of the electrolyte or add water to VMAX tanks during float service life. In fact, there is no provision for this type of maintenance. Battery Cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLJBT65?ref=myi_title_dp
- RECOMMENDED CHARGER: VMAX BC1215 12V 15Amp 7-Stage "Smart" Charger/Maintainer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZV91Q0)
For many users, the VMAX MR137-120 battery is very close to perfection in terms of performance and design. Several factors contribute to the unique build of this battery. Let’s check out some of them.
The major characteristic of the VMAX MR137-120 that endears it to people’s heart is its long lifespan. It can last between 8 and 10 years depending on how well you use it. It does not however require so much maintenance since it comes with an AGM design. The design also ensures that the electrolyte stays within the battery without the use of silica gels or other contaminants.
To ensure that you enjoy extra margins of performance, this battery comes with heavy-duty lead-tin alloys. All through the use of this battery, you don’t have to bother with checking the electrolyte levels or even add distilled water. When listing non-spill batteries in this class, the VMAX MR137-120 battery comes up very high on the list.
The tough external tank of the battery is sealed completely to perfection. There is no chance of spills, leaks, or water seeping through. Another major advantage is the quick recovery from deep discharges. For many users, this is a very impressive capability that sets the battery apart from its competitors.
The VMAX MR137-120 battery comes with heavy-duty grids. With these, the battery can deliver high performance consistently while retaining its strength. This battery is very versatile, it works for all kinds of heavy-duty vehicles and purposes. From trolling motors to water boats, golf carts to solar panels, and lots more.
As much as we think this battery is perfect, it has a flaw. This battery weighs 75lbs, which is very huge compared to many other batteries. The challenge here is that moving this battery around is very difficult. More than this, it may exceed the requirement for small boats, especially when going on fishing trips.
Overall, the VMAX MR137-120 battery is a good buy because of its many power qualities.
- Heavy-duty battery
- Very affordable
- It has a very long lifespan (between 8 and 10 years)
- It is equipped with a smart battery calculator that calculates AC/DC power
- Designed with heavy grids
- Electrolyte suspension system
- Very heavy
4. Interstate 12V 75Ah DCM0075 SLA/AGM Deep Cycle battery
Interstate Batteries 12V 75Ah Deep Cycle Battery (DCM0075) Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable SLA AGM (Insert Terminals) Wheelchairs, Sump Pumps, Scooters, ATVs
- Interstate Batteries Deep-Cycle mobility product, our DCM0075 Replacement battery fits many top wheelchair and electric scooter brands such as Jazzy Chairs, Leisure lift, Pride Mobility Scooters, Invacare battery, Hove round, Bruno wheelchairs and more; This product is not a replacement for golf cart batteries
- Rechargeable, Maintenance-free and spill proof because of the AGM and VRLA (valve regulated) technology that eliminates spills and overpressure
- Professional-grade quality product developed specifically for wheelchairs and scooters; Long life for deep discharge usage: the best performer for heavy demand mobility / wheelchairs
- 12volt 75 ah sealed lead acid battery; Dimensions: 10. 24 inches (L) x 6. 61 inches (W) x 8. 19 inches (H) Terminal: INSERT W/BOLT REPLACES FLAG TY
- Please be aware that this is a very heavy product. Because of this, we have taken the precaution of double boxing this battery to protect it during shipping. However, there are some instances when it may arrive to you with cosmetic blemishes due to the shipping process.
- Fit type: Universal Fit
Interstate is a brand that has a great reputation for producing high-performance batteries. The DCM0075 battery from this company does not disappoint in every regard with powering trolling motors, and it has remained a favorite of experienced vehicle operators.
The first thing about the Interstate DCM0075 battery that catches the eye is its versatility. This is probably because, despite its weight at 51.5lbs, it can deliver up to 75Ah. Thus, the battery can be used for trolling motors, mobility scooters, jazzy chairs, electric wheelchairs, and more. However, seeing that it delivers less power than its predecessors on this list, it cannot be used for certain purposes. For example, you can’t use it for golf carts, water boats, or large solar panels.
The battery makes up for this with its amiable design. Just like the other batteries on this list, it is designed for high-performance. It comes with VRLA and AGM technologies. As such, it is spill- and leak-proof and requires no maintenance. The terminals are also designed to be resistant to corrosion as well. This design eliminates overpressure while allowing the battery to charge very quickly.
Overall, this is a great battery for its price. It doesn’t weigh as much as its competitors yet it delivers high-performance power. The only challenge is that it is only able to deliver 75Ah while its predecessors on this list deliver 100Ah. Other than this, it gives users a run for their money.
- VRLA and AGM design
- Very portable
- Leak and spill-proof
- Quick recharge
- Maintenance-free battery
- Versatile battery
- Delivers only 75Ah of power
5. Weize FP12750 12V 75Ah Deep Cycle Battery
Weize 12V 75AH Deep Cycle Battery for Wayne ESP25 WSS30V Backup Sump Pump, Trolling Motor, Solar System, Mobility Wheelchair, General Use
- TL1275/FP12750 Battery 12V 75AH Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Maintenance Free AGM Deep Cycle; Parcel: 1 x Battery (screws included, but no wire harness or mounting). TL1275 or FP12750 You Will Receive, Send Randomly,They Are the Same Quality,But Different production Batches.
- Dimensions: 10.02 x 6.65 x 8.94 inches. High Performance, Long Service Life and Deep Discharge Recover.
- Fit For Wayne ESP25 Back-Up Pump, Electric Scooter, Golf Cart Electric DC, Solar Energy Storage, Pride Mobility Jazzy 1420 1450 Wheelchair, Hoveround Teknique HD XHD, Drive Medical Cobra GT4, Permobil M300 Wheelchair.
- General For UPS System, Solar Panel Wind Energy Storage, RV VAN House, Camping Trip, Industrial and Medical Equipment, Electric Vehicles, Golf Carts, Hunting, Lawn and Garden Tools, Portable Tools, Toys and Hobby, Emergency Lighting, Leisure.
- With a 30 day refund policy. Please Contact Us if Any Question.
Like we stated earlier, Weize is known for manufacturing quality batteries. The FP12750 deep cycle battery matches the historical quality of Weize batteries despite the FP12750 model producing only 75Ah of power. While it provides less power than the LFP12100, it still comes with several attractive properties. Here’s why it makes our list.
The FP12750 comes in a sealed AGM design. This means that the battery is safe from leaks or spills. It also implies that the battery is waterproof so it is perfect for marine use. You won’t have to spend time on maintenance because of the sealed design as well. This means that you’ll be using the battery for a very long time.
The Weize FP12750 battery is very versatile. Besides using it for trolling motors, you can use it for several other vehicles and purposes. Examples include solar energy storage, electric scooters, backup pumps, golf carts, etc. You can also use it to power portable tools, garden and lawn tools, medical equipment, toys, and lots more.
The battery comes with a calcium-alloy grid. This allows for exceptional performance and power delivery. It also enables the battery to recharge easily. Since it has a low self-discharge rate, you can use it as an alternative source of power during camping trips as well.
One of the challenges with this battery is that it is quite costly. This is common with all Weize products. However, it makes up for this with its exceptional performance. This battery meets up to requirements and is very easy to install.
- Heavy-duty battery
- Easy to install
- Versatile battery
- Low self-discharge
- Vibration and shock resistance
- Quite costly
6. Optima 8050-160 D31T YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- 12-Volt, 900 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 12 13/16" x 6 1/2" x 9 3/8" tall, Weight: 59.8 pounds, Steel Stud and SAE Post
- Reserve capacity of 155 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather,C20 Capacity:75 Ah, CCA:900 Ampere,Voltage:12 Volts
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Optima is one of the most popular battery manufacturers in the world with a reputation for high-performance batteries. The 8050-160 D31T YellowTop model is designed with high-performance standards in mind. Here’s what adds this battery to our list.
The 8050-160 D31T YellowTop comes with superior features despite looking a lot smaller than the other batteries on this list. It weighs just 59.8lbs, but don’t let its weight fool you. The battery delivers 900 cold-cranking amps meaning that it is highly efficient even in very cold weather.
Reserve capacity is always a challenge with batteries since this determines how much power the battery can deliver without continuous charge. The 8050-160 D31T YellowTop battery has a reserve capacity of 155 minutes. This is very high compared to other batteries in its class.
Another factor that you should watch out for when choosing batteries for your trolling motor is vibration resistance. This determines if the battery can deliver power amid vibrations and shocks. It also affects the durability of the battery. Thankfully, the 8050-160 D31T YellowTop battery has 15 times the vibration resistance of many conventional batteries.
One of the major advantages of this battery is its spiral cell technology. This technology ensures that the battery can deliver high-performance power consistently. It also means that the battery features critical tolerances and can perform under adverse weather conditions.
- Very high cranking power and deep-cycling abilities
- 15 times the vibration resistance of many conventional batteries
- Spill and leak-proof design
- It can be mounted in any position
- Very affordable
- Quick recharge rate
- Unconventional shape
7. Mighty Max ML55-12 SLA Battery
- ML55-12 sla is a 12V 55ah sealed lead acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery
- Dimensions: 9.02 inches x 5.43 inches x 9.13 inches. Listing is for the battery and screws only. No wire harness or mounting accessories included
- Sla/ agm spill proof battery has a characteristic of high discharge Rate, wide operating temperatures, long service life and Deep discharge Recovery.
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration. Long lasting high performance in high and low temperatures
- Backed by a 30 day refund policy and full 1 year warranty. Nut and Bolt terminal
The first thing that attracts users to the Mighty Max ML55-12 SLA battery is the fact that it is maintenance-free. This means that it comes with a sealed lead-acid design. It is a great option for your trolling motor along with a couple of other purposes.
The SLA and AGM design mean that this battery is spill- and leak-proof. It also means that you can mount it in just about any position. The battery features a low self-discharge rate so you can leave it without use for a while. It also promises a long service life so that users don’t have to be bothered replacements.
The vibration and shock resistance of this battery is very high. It comes with a year’s warranty and a 30-day refund policy. Despite offering just 55Ah, this battery can be used for several purposes. Examples of these include consumer electronics, garden and lawn tools, electric vehicles, medical equipment, and solar energy storage. You can also use it to power toys, emergency lighting, motorcycles, golf carts, engine starters, etc.
While this battery holds great promise, there are a few challenges. It doesn’t deliver power for long. However, it makes up for this with its quick recharge abilities. The best way to get the most of this battery is to check the capacity of your trolling motor first. Considering the affordability and power delivery of this battery, it is great as a backup battery and not as the primary battery.
- High shock and vibration resistance
- It comes with a year’s warranty
- Versatile battery
- It can be mounted in a variety of ways
- Quite affordable
- Doesn’t deliver power for long
Things to Consider When Buying a Trolling Motor Battery
Finding the right battery for your trolling motor can be a bit of a challenge. However, whenever you’re looking to make a well-informed buying decision, here some aspects to check.
Batteries for trolling motors come in different sizes. You must find the right size for your trolling motor and balance it with its power requirements. Check this out before you purchase so that you don’t have issues later on.
Trolling motors need either 24V or 12V depending on their power requirements. Motors that have higher thrust will require up to 24V. If you need a high thrust option, you may need to double 12V batteries. Whatever the case is, always check for the voltage requirements of your trolling motor before purchasing a battery.
The question that begs an answer here is: how much run time do you need? This has to do with the duration you run the trolling motor during each use. If you run for extended periods, then you need a battery that can match up to your requirements.